Zeta Phi Eta, National Professional Fraternity in Communication Arts and Sciences, the oldest national group of its kind, was founded on October 10, 1893 at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, under the inspiration and guidance of Dr. Robert McLean Cumnock.
The idea of a friendly society of service which might eventually become a national and vital force in Communication Arts was the seed of its founding.
Edith DeVore Tiffany, Maud Newell Wilson, Mollie Connor Hackney, Leila Little Heckler, and Laurine Wright Bartlett, were the five founders. (OUR FOUNDERS)
The fraternity was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois on June 25, 1902. In 1908, Zeta Phi Eta affiliated with Phi Eta Sigma, a local organization founded in 1901 at Emerson College, in Boston, Massachusetts. In the affiliation, the chapter at Boston became Alpha, and the one at Evanston, Beta. The cameo and pearl pin of Alpha became the official badge, and the shield and torch of Beta, the coat of arms.
Zeta Phi Eta has expanded its areas of interest as the field itself expanded to include all communication arts and sciences. As of 1975, Zeta Phi Eta’s Bylaws were amended to include men in its membership.Currently, Zeta Phi Eta consists of both professional and campus chapters from across the nation. To find a chapter near you, click on the chapters link or the “Contact Us” link at the top and contact anyone on the National Council for assistance.
1. To band together individuals committed to high standards in communication arts and sciences;
2. To provide opportunities for sharing professional interests through participation in worthwhile activities in the fields of communication;
3. To provide a climate in which members may develop sound professional philosophies; and
4. To stimulate and encourage all worthy enterprises in the communication fields.